Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bon Iver.

I'll be upfront, I failed french. I hated it, didn't try, and came home with a wonderful F on my report card. But, the sweet sweet sounds of Bon Iver don't remind me of learning "bon hiver" in french class, instead, I am completely and utterly thrilled with every song Justin Vernon sings. As in my last post, for three days straight I have been listening to For Emma, Forever Ago and the Blood Bank EP on repeat. There's something about isolation that is so attractive. If you didn't know the story, Vernon spent weeks in seclusion in a cottage and out of it came the record For Emma, Forever Ago. Fuck yes. Henry Thoreau once wrote "I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude". When Vernon was making his music, I believe he made this connection. For Emma, Forever Ago is a grand example of the greatness solitude brings. Whoever Emma is, thank you. You've provided me with some great music thats made me peaceful. I suggest you give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment